Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I wouldn't be mad at my grocery store.

There was a time in my life, probably most of my life, when I didn’t consider buying low-fat or diet foods. Now I am always looking at labels, reading calorie and fat content, and checking out things that scream on their packaging, “Reduced Fat” or “Fat Free”.

Over the last year or so I discovered a love for Doritos Light and Barbeque Lays Light. These chips are made with Olean (known as “poop chips” amongst my circle of friends), which when I was in college was the highlight of many snack discussions as we read the disclaimer about loose/runny stool. There was no way, back then, that I would ever touch food that might change my digestion.

I didn’t see “poop chips” for a while and when I noticed them again, I decided they must have gone away, gotten reformulated, and returned without the nasty side effects and must be fine for human consumption. They had brand new packaging and fewer calories than the bland baked variety. So I grabbed a bag and didn’t feel the least bit guilty indulging in as many as I wanted because they were low in fat and calories (and no messy side effects).

These have become my go-to chips, the barbeque being my favorite. Anytime I looked for chips, those were what I wanted. The last few times I’ve been to the grocery store, my favs have been missing. They have light versions of plain Lay’s, Ruffles, and Tostitos but no Doritos or Barbeque. And there’s not even a space for them. So I am coming to believe that my grocery store is no longer stocking them.

If I wasn’t concerned about such things as calorie and fat content, this wouldn’t be a problem but since I seem to be, what am I going to do now? I cannot resort to eating plain chips. I don’t like the lame flavor of potato and salt. I’d be forced to make/buy sour cream and onion dip and by the time I did that, I might as well buy full fat Doritos. Can I blame the grocery store for the downfall of my weight-loss? I think so.

No comments: