Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I wouldn't think about cooking low fat.

Tonight I made, entirely from scratch, vegetable soup. I don’t even like that stuff but this particular soup was delicious.

A few weeks ago I made homemade chicken stock and put it in the freezer (we’d had a rotisserie chicken and some veggies that were about to go so stock it was). On Saturday I did a homemade vegetable stock (same deal minus the chicken).

My husband is really pushing us to eat better (which should help with my birthday present but I’m not always into it…technically it’s not March yet so I have a few more days not to be concerned). He keeps asking for low fat foods and checks what I’ve made for dinner…was it made with low fat cheese, etc? So with a fridge full of vegetables and a freezer full of stock, I decided to make soup. Please note once again that I do not like vegetable soup. I do like the broth and I will eat that with crackers in it but once you get those veggies in there, no thank you. The problem is that there is usually tons of Veg-All in that soup and I really can’t stand that. Since I don’t like Veg-All, I don’t have it on hand. I only keep veggies we both like. Meaning that this veggie soup had only things I would actually eat. Once they were all brought together, it really was delicious. And while I didn’t eat any of it except for the broth (with two pieces of corn), I seriously thought about it. I had already thawed some tomato-basil soup I’d made in the summer, also from scratch.

I wish I had thought about this post before dinner (I love all the blogs with pics of dinner in progress) but I didn’t. So the best I can do is the recipe:

2.5 cups homemade chicken stock
2.5 cups homemade vegetable stock
1.5 cups water
1 small onion, diced small
6 creamer potatoes, diced small (these are small like red potatoes)
2 carrots, diced small
1 cup pearl onions
½ cup corn kernels
1 tsp thyme
Salt and pepper to taste

In medium pot, sauté onions in tiniest bit of canola oil, medium high. Add potatoes, salt, pepper, and thyme, cook for 5 minutes. Add carrots and water. Deglaze pan with water as carrots and potatoes cook. Add stocks and bring to boil. Boil for 10-15 minutes until potatoes and carrots are done. Reduce heat to medium low. Add onions and corn. Simmer for 5 minutes. Serve with crusty bread or Zesta crackers.

No comments: